Thursday, February 24, 2011

Provincial Living

As an interior designer, I love decorating in the French Provincial style. I like the mix of easy elegance and rustic charm. I think it works equally well for coastal, holiday houses as it does for grand period homes around town. I like things that have a timeless, pre-loved feel about them - nothing too new and shiny. I think pieces that are bit worn and frayed around the edges have added character and personality. I love the look of old stone, recycled timbers and antique furniture. I love the feel of natural fibres like hemp, cotton and linen in earthy tones such as beige, bone, cream and taupe. These colours all come into their own when mixed back with lots of white.







 


 
Xox
Melissah

5 comments:

Angela Furlong said...

As you can see from my blog, I'm also an avid fan of the trusty French Provincial look! Gorgeous images. I love the colour of your side border btw... such a glorious coral pink!

Angela
Wicker & Stitch

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

Melissah I am with you ... gorgeous French provincial style marries well with everything and especially the coastal look! Hope you are well!
best wishes
Frances

The enchanted home said...

I agree one of my favorite styles and looks in a room, so classic and timeless and love the soft muted colors..it feeds your soul everytime you walk in a room like that:)

Kym said...

Ohhh I couldn't agree more, Melissah..loving the images ! Kym

Pearl said...

Very Very pretty post!
I love every pic!


Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...