Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shabby Chic

The beauty of imperfections, the allure of well loved time-worn objects, and the appeal of simple practical living are the trademarks of the 'Shabby Chic' brand. Flea market finds, vintage pieces, hand painted furniture, faded velvets, old lace and mismatched floral china - things one might find in your grandma's attic, are all synonymous with  the Shabby Chic label. Designer Rachel Ashwell founded Shabby Chic in 1989 on the philosophy of beauty, comfort, and function. She set up her first store in  California and has since gone on to write a series of books and open up lifestyle stores throughout the world.
Having followed Rachel from the beginning, she has had a huge influence on me as a designer. Although my design work is now more modern and stream lined I still love the prettiness, femininity and rustic charm that is associated with the shabby chic label. 

Rachel Ashwell at work











Xox
Melissah

5 comments:

Bettina said...

Beautiful photos. I loove Shabby Chic, although I've started to mix it with dark furniture also.

Thanks for following my blog and for your kind comment! :)

Hug, Bettina.

Unknown said...

I love the kitchen! These are all very charming and beautiful images.

Kay Ellen said...

Hi There!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today~~~
love Miss Rachel!

I had the privelage of meeting and chatting with her this past year at an event in San Deigo~~such a sweetie in person and love her style and of course her charming accent:))

Take Care and have a beautiful weekend!

Kay Ellen

Laura said...

I love the style you are showing here and the pictures you've chosen!

No name said...

Hi Melissah,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm happy you found me:) Your blog looks lovely. I'm a huge fan of Rachel Ashwell but I like to mix in a few modern pieces to keep things fresh.

Blessings,
Shanna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...